Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Surprise Me God! #2

My day yesterday was different. God surprised me in many ways. Not all of them the best but hey, He didn't say my walk with Him would be a picnic.

In fact, He said "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Note: This wasn't the scripture I was looking for but it sure must be the one I needed!

Talia's clarinet needed work so we took it in for repairs. I nearly fell over when they gave me the cost. *thud* Of course, they don't take payments but it was worth asking just in case!

Today, I gave my next door neighbor a ride to the courthouse so the court could take his deposition in the case against my former neighbor who was breaking into my house.

Surprise me God?

First surprise? No nurse again today. She had a meeting all day.

Second surprise? My first customer of the day wasn't even a kid, it was a teacher! He had cut himself shaving and needed help to get it to stop. He said he had had tissue on it for quite a while and it still wouldn't stop bleeding. I offered him a bit of vaseline hoping it would seal it and he asked if I'd put it on for him. I ended up also cutting a full size bandaid down to size to cover it. Made me laugh early!

Third surprise? The clinic wasn't as busy as yesterday. Thank goodness. I think the thing that amazes me the most is the kids who were truly sick were back again today. Kids who were puking yesterday and had fevers were back!! They hadn't had time to get well and were back spreading whatever they had. ewww!

I did manage to get some images stamped so I can color them for my Christmas cards. I had intended to do cards with a Nativity silhoutte but they didn't turn out quite like I wanted. I ended up playing with my nurse's snowman stamps she bought from me and boy are the cards cute! I plan on making at least 150. The first 40 are done. I have the images for 120 more stamped. Just need to color them, cut the layering papers and ribbon, then put them together.

Today, I am grateful for my children, a job, a van to drive, a roof over my head (although I still need another roof), the rain to come (did I say I love the rain?). I am grateful for a wonderful church family who bless me coming and going. And I am so very grateful for a God who loves me even when I'm screwing up and missing the mark.

I just realized today that I posted the "Help Me God" post on my Daddy's birthday. He would have been 67 years old on the 19th. With all the things that was wrong with our relationship, there were still good things I miss. I miss you Daddy.

I pray that my children don't one day have a post like that in reference to their Dad. They have not seen him since July 2001. Skif acts like it doesn't bother him and Talia, well Talia, I find notes here and there saying "I miss you Dad and I hope to see you soon. I love you Dad. You're the best."

Lord, protect their hearts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh!! For some reason the visual of a teacher coming in with a bad razor cut cracks me up!!

It seems to me that you arent "screwing up and missing the mark". FWIW...When I read your entries it appears that you struggle too much with trying to have the perfect faith. I dont think there is such thing. I think you are doing a wonderful job within your faith and with your family and career. I think that sometimes you need to know that God is not looking for perfection that he is simply looking for your belief.

Anonymous said...

OMGosh! I just got your card today! Girl...you should make a living doing that!! That card is BEAUTIFUL!!! I can see you doing an awesome business in some little gift shops around town...or even spending some Saturday morning at the GB FleaMarket!

I'M SO IMPRESSED!!!! Thank you!

Deborah Kaye said...

I'm so glad you like the card. I enjoyed making it. One day I plan to have a shop.

As for perfection, I think it's the control issue that I have to hand my life over as a "living sacrifice." The only problem is I keep crawling off the altar.